Does it spark joy?

/ Wednesday, October 26, 2016 /
I stumbled upon a life changing statement few weeks back. I was strolling around Burnside to kill time - I had a coffee meet up with some mom friends, saw Dymocks, and thought why not have a look on whats inside. Maybe I could get new books for Hamza or for myself maybe. I still have a pile - untouched, new books I bought since donkey years that I haven't read, but who cares. lol

And then I bumped into this. This interesting sentence, that just caught my attention. I mean, hello? Are you talking to me, book? I felt so offended but so intrigued at the same time. Like how dare you, book. Ergh you're just a book, imma put you back on the shelf straight away! But lets flip a few pages and check out how annoying you'd be. I imagined myself annoyed upon reading first paragraph. Really? Who needs this book man, everyone knows how to manage this !


Long story short, I CAVED IN, and thought, lets see how life changing this will be. Bought it and pulled a Classic Zyra and just let this book hang around inside my handbag for the longest time. I don't know what was it, I felt so nervous about it. I wanted to sit down, mentally prepared for this. Of course when you have a baby almost toddler like Hamza, me-times are plenty. (laugh) well, that contributed to more procrastination in picking it up.

Eventually, I did. And I just want to say that this book is just IT. It was a turning point for me, and I was just itching to tidy up EVERY CORNER OF THIS HOUSE. But of course, most importantly was my own wardrobe. Marie writes about how tidying should be done by categories, and since clothing is deemed the most easiest, I started with that first. It took me one full day to do it, I didn't get to the rest as it was dinner time and Hamza was all over me by then, but I have a good feeling of this.

What really made me do this was how she describes each and every item ( like clothing ) as something alive. As if they had feelings. And to think of them as people with feelings. How bad they would feel and how miserable they are when they are not put to good or full use. She mentions how most of the time we store things for years and years and don't actually use them within those years.

She also connects all these hoardings and accumulation to heart matters. It usually reflects our state emotionally. If our things are generally messy, its usually because of a crowded mind, or a crowding effect in ourselves that needs confronting. If you like being messy, then this book really isn't for you. I am unfortunately messy, but I am willing to be a lot tidier than what I am now. Hence -the book.

But anyhow,
This was what got my attention,

"Every object has a different role to play. Not all clothes have come to you to be worn threadbare. It is the same with people. Not every person you meet in life will become a close friend or lover. Some you will find hard to get along with or impossible to like. But these people, too, teach you the precious lesson of who you do like, so that you will appreciate those special people even more.

When you come across something that you cannot throw away, think carefully about its true purpose in your life. You'll be surprised at how many of the things you possess have already fulfilled their role. By acknowledging their contribution and letting them go with gratitude, you will be able to truly put the things you own, and your life, in order. In the end, all that will remain are the things that you really treasure.

To truly cherish the things that are important to you, you must first discard those that have outlived their purpose. To throw away what you no longer need is neither wasteful or shameful. Can you truthfully say that you treasure something buried so deeply in a cupboard or drawer that you have forgotten its existence? If things had feelings they would certainly not be happy. Free them from the prison to which you have relegated them. Help them leave that deserted isle to which you have exiled them. Let them go, with gratitude. Not only you, but your things as well, will feel clear and refreshed when you are done tidying"

So I took every single clothing I had in the house, and lay it on the living room floor, And chose one by one, asked myself " does it spark joy? " Hahaha. It felt really liberating, as most outfits I had to bid goodbye as it no longer fitted me. It had served it purpose and I'm done with it. I used to think that it would somehow "motivate" me to shrink back into it, but I realised it only made me feel a lot more depressed than motivated.




Thank you for giving me joy when I had you, and teaching me what doesn't suit me. I piled them all inside these bags, ready for its new owner that would appreciate them and give them a "new and better life" than I could. :)


Whats left of mine. Clothes that spark joy to my heart. Most of it being what Mom bought me ( which are the hardest to let go, because they are gifts. But I need to create more space clogging my mind whenever I see a packed wardrobe and I know I won't be able to fit into most of it anyway again, so some I had to let go ) I touched and wished each and every one of them goodbye and thanks for their once joy.

And whats left of my folded items.




 I am feeling the very best at the moment. I feel like the air is so fresh. I prayed with such a lifted heart tonight and Ive never felt this way in the longest time. Like a huge load had just been taken off my chest. It really feels so good to de-clutter and tidy up. And I've always reminded myself to never ever be a hoarder.

What just brings this whole concept home is reminding myself how little Rasulullah s.a.w used to have. He lived a minimal life, and only used the things he had on a daily basis - and I wish to be that too in shaa Allah.

I love how my wardrobe now sparks joy, and speaks to me like its brand new.

Ok off to bed now, work tomorrow!

Night!

xx






0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

 
Copyright © 2010 my two cents ;, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger